paddlesteamers.info  :  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers


STATICALLY PRESERVED PADDLE STEAMER ENGINES  (outside of the vessel hull)
Click here for engines within hulls
   
Several examples of paddle steamer engines have been preserved and are available for public viewing. One of the finest examples is that of the former Lake Lucerne paddler Pilatus, displayed at the Verkehrshaus, the Swiss National Transport Museum at Lucerne 

In a shock decision made in 2008, the engines of PS Goethe (1913) were removed and replaced by diesel-hydraulic drives. They are to be exhibited at the Cologne City Museum (Koelnisches Stadtmuseum).

CALEDONIA

Go to Ship

Go to Engines

Triple Expansion Diagonal

1934

Brock

Denny (Dumbarton)

Liphook - UK (in store)

COMPTON CASTLE

Go to Ship

Go to Engines

Compound Diagonal

1914

 

 

Kingswear - UK (planned) 

EMPRESS

Go to Ship Go to Engines

Oscillating

1879

 

 Penn (London)

Tan-y-Groes -  UK 

LEVEN

 

Go to Engines

 

1821

 

 Napier

Dumbarton - UK

COMET1812London - UK
INDUSTRY1814Dobie (Glasgow)Glasgow - UK
COMET (II)Go to Engines1 cyl beam engine1821McArthur (Glasgow)Glasgow - UK

PILATUS

Go to Ship

Go to Engines

Compound Diagonal

1895

Gooch

Sulzer (Winterthur)

Luzern - CH

RIGI

Go to Ship

Go to Engines

Compound Oscillating

1894

Stephenson


Luzern - CH

HELVETIE

Go to Ship

Go to Engines

Triple Diagonal Uniflow

1926

 

Sulzer (Winterthur)

Nyon - CH

GIESSBACH

 

 

Compound Oscillating

 1899

 

Escher, Wyss (Zurich)

Winterthur - CH

GOETHE

Go to Ship

Go to Engines

Compound Diagonal

1913

Stephenson

Sachsenberg (Rosslau)

Cologne - D

BOHEMIA

 

 

 

1863

 

 

Munich - D

GERMANIA

 

Go to Engines

Side Lever

1841

 

 Cockerill (Liege)

Munich - D

FURST BISMARCK

Go to Ship Go to Engines

Compound Oscillating

1879

 Stephenson

 Ruston (Prague)

Duisburg - D

KAISER FRANZ JOSEF

 

 

 

1880

 

 

Lauenburg - D

MARIE

 

Go to Engines

 

 

Stephenson

 

Berlin - D

LUITPOLD

 

Go to Engines

Compound Diagonal

 

 

 

Berlin - D

SCHMILKA

 

 

Oscillating

 

 

 

Storage - Dresden - D

JUNGER PIONIER

 

 

Oscillating

 

 

 

Storage - Dresden - D

DIESSEN

Go to Ship

Go to Engines

Compound Diagonal

 

Stephenson

 

Hamburg - D

CECILIE

Go to Ship

 

Compound Diagonal

 

Stephenson

Sachsenberg (Rosslau)

Private collection - NL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tugs

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ORSOVA

 

Go to Engines

Oscillating

 

Stephenson

 

Vienna - A

VERTES

 

Go to Engines

Compound Diagonal

 

Joy

 

Budapest - H

RELIANT

 

Go to Engines

2 x couplable Side Lever

 

 

Hepple (South Shields)

(p) Doncaster - UK

(sb) Greenwich - UK

 CLYDE

 

Go to Engines

 

 

 

 

 Renfrew Ferry - UK

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Miscellaneous
Yacht  FIREFLYGo to EnginesCompound Diagonal1900Poynton - UK



Notes on vessels in the table above which do not have their own vessel page:


Firefly

The 12-horse power compound engines and paddle wheels of this 72-feet long yacht are preserved. Originally displayed in the Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool (UK), they are now at the Anson Engine Museum at Poynton, Cheshire, UK. Built for a wealthy aristocrat by W Roberts of Chester in 1900, the engines were removed when the yacht was converted to screw propulsion around 1920


Comet
Henry Bell's Comet of 1812, which sailed from Glasgow to his hotel at Helensburgh on the Clyde estuary is generlly regarded as the first commercially-operating paddle steamer in Europe. It was wrecked in 1820 near Oban, by which time her services had taken her well beyond her original range and into potentially rougher waters. The engine was rescued and reused statically in an engineering works and later a brewery in Glasgow. In 1862 it was gifted to the Science Museum in London.

Industry
Tug tender built in 1814 by J & W Fife of Fairlie, Ayrshire, UK and engined by Dobie & Co of Govan. The ship was reengined in 1828 and gave over 40 years of further service. The original engine is now in the Riverside Museum collection in Glasgow 


Comet (II)
The second comet was a wooden paddle steamer engined by D McArthur of Glasgow. The ship was sunk in a collision off Gourock in 1825. The hull was salvaged for further use and the engine sold. It is now in the collection of the Riverside Museum in Glasgow


Reliant (ex-Old Trafford)
The former Manchester Ship Canal tug, built in 1907 and from 1951 used as "Reliant" on the River Tyne and at Seaham harbour, appeared to have been preserved for posterity when it was purchased by and displayed by the National Maritime Museum (NMM) in Greenwich between 1973 and 1996. She was displayed inside, in the Neptune Hall but in increasingly cut-away form and eventually dismantled as the space was then used for other exhibits.
The port engine and paddle wheel of the paddle tug is now owned by the Markham Grange Steam Museum near Doncaster.
The starboard engine remains on display at the NMM in Greenwich.
Luzern's famous Transport Museum (Verkehrshaus) features the preserved engines of two of the nearby lake's old paddle steamers :

Pilatus
Two-cylinder diagonal steam engine (1895-1966) :  

Rigi 
Oscillating engine (1848-1952)  
Helvetie
The Musee du Leman has the original triple-diagonal steam engines of PS (now MPV) Helvetie dating from 1926 and removed in 1975. Website : Musee du Leman
Giessbach
The oscillating engines of the former Lake Brienz paddler, the third set installed in this steamer, are now at the  Swiss Steam Centre (Dampfzentrum) in Winterthur

Goethe
The engines removed from PS Goethe after her 2008 season ended in October of that year are due to be exhibited at the Kolnisches Stadtmuseum, on loan from Goethe's owners, the Koln-Dusseldorfer line.


Bohemia
The machinery of the River Elbe paddler Bohemia of 1863 is preserved at the Deutsches Museum

Libussa
The oscillating engine of the River Elbe paddler of 1870 is preserved at the maritime museum at Duisburg - Ruhrort
Kaiser Franz Josef
Engines and paddle wheels of the 1880 Elbe paddler are preserved at the Lauenburg museum.
Marie
Engines of the Ammersee paddler (1878-1908) are preserved at the Deutsches Technik Museum, Berlin

Luitpold
The engines are also in the Technical museum, Berlin and one of the ex-Chiemsee's paddles is in the Deutsches Museum in Munich

The local steamer operator in Dresden decided to scrap two of their paddlers which had been laid up for many years and whose hulls had deteriorated badly. They were scrapped at the slip of the Laubegast yard, but their oscillating engines were saved and are now in store. The ultimate aim is, at some future date, to build new hulls for the engines.

Schmilka
Junger Pionier

Diessen
Engines were removed when the Ammersee vessel was dieselised in 1975 and are owned by an organisation aiming to establish maritime museum in the southern Bavarian area : Website : Forderverein Sudbayerisches Schifffahrtsmuseum

Cecilie
Engines of the former Rhine paddler are now owned by Klemens Key, the renowned paddle steamer restorer

Orsova
The oscillating engines originally built in London in 1853 but subsequently modified and installed in the tug "Orsova" are preserved in the Vienna Technical Museum


Vertes : The engines and paddles of this Danube tug (1914-1963) are displayed outdoors in the grounds of the Transport Museum in Budapest.


Clyde : Engines by A & J Inglis of Glasgow in 1851 for the paddle tug Clyde, displayed outdoors at Renfrew Ferry Green near Glasgow


OUTSIDE EUROPE


VICKSBURG, USA - CIVIL WAR PADDLE GU-BOAT ENGINE PRESERVED
The engine, one paddle wheel and the remains of the hull of USS Cairo, a civil war gunboat, is preserved at Vicksburg Military Park. The ironclad river gunboat was sunk ny an elecronically detonated torpedo seven miles north of Vicksburg in December 1862 - reputedly the first ship ever to suffer this fate. The ship was raised in 1964 and preservation efforts began. She was allocated to the US national Parks Service in 1972 and eventually arrived at Vicksburg in 1977


NEW ZEALAND - OLD ENGINES PUT TO NEW USE
In Queenstown, the engines of the former paddle steamer Antrim (built in 1868) continue to operate the Kinloch slipway which is still used by the screw steamship Earnslaw (coal fired, built in 1912) which appeared on Lake Wakitpu eight years after Antrim was laid up. Antrim was finally dismantled in 1920. A second historical paddle steamer on lake makitpu was Mountaineer (1879-1932, scrapped in 1941)


CHILE - DERELICT WRECK :
The remains of the walking beam engine of PS Olympian an 1883-built sidewheeler, wrecked on the south Atlantic coast of Chile still survives on the beach in a remote area. Built in the east of the USA she had already passed around Cape Horn when delivered for service out of Seattle. Soon she was moved to Portland and the Columbia River in Oregon but was not a success despite her opulence due to her draught and was laid up in 1890. It was decided to move her back to the east of the USA in 1906 but she foundered and was lost on the journey.
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/23929449
Photo of Olympian in service : http://www.oldoregonphotos.com/sidewheeler-olympian-in-portland-harbor-c-1905.html



Perhaps the best visible illustration of the heart of the ship - the heart that makes a paddle steamer different from any other ship - can be found outside the Transport Museum at Budapest, Hungary, where the compound diagonal engines of the former Danube tug Vertes (ex-Tihany) are on display, complete with both paddle wheels. For more about paddle steamer engines and numerous illustrations, click here.   Thanks to Zsolt Szabo for the photo.


Return to

Homepage