:  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers

PS Leven, later installed in Queen of Beauty                                                                                                
Engines : Side Lever (1823) by Robert Napier

Photo by kind courtesy of Chris Allen

Displayed outside the Denny Tank, the world's first ship hull testing tank at the site of the former Wm Denny & Bros shipyard at Dumbarton, the site is now part of the Scottish Maritime Museum. The engine is of side-lever design and dates from 1823 and the first engine built by Robert Napier whose company rose to fame on Clydeside in the mid 1800s. It was fitted in the wooden paddle steamer Leven, built by James lang at Dumbarton. The engine was transferred to the PS Queen of Beauty in 1844 and operated until 1877 when it was presented to the town of Dumbarton by the sons of Robert Napier. She has been alongside the Denny Tank since 1984.
Return to
Preserved Engines