paddlesteamers.info  :  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers 


Firth of Clyde, Scotland
David Hutcheson & Co, later  David MacBrayne Ltd
David MacBrayne was of three partners in David Hutcheson's company which primarily operated services to Scotland's western Isles and Hebrides. He eventually took exclusive control in 1879 after the retirement of David Hutcheson in 1876 and Alexander Hutcheson in 1878. MacBrayne died in 1907 , aged 92, having worked up until the previous year, by which time the operation had become David MacBrayne Ltd. It was reconstructed in 1928 as David MacBrayne (1928) Ltd, owned jointly by Coast Lines Ltd and the LMS railway. As David MacBrayne Ltd from 1934, 50 percent remained with the private Coast Lines Ltd until it was purchased by the Scottish Transport Group in 1969 and on January 1, 1973 was merged with STG's other subsisiary, the Caledonian Steam Packet Company to form Caledonian - MacBrayne.

Although MacBrayne's territory was the Western Isles with Oban as base, a regular service was run from Glasgow (later Gourock) to Tarbet and Ardrishaig on Loch Fyne for delivering mail and passengers for onward connections to the Western Isles. Marketed since the 19th century as the "Royal Route" with reference to an earlier visit to the area by Queen Victoria, MacBraynes ran two well-known, well-loved and long-lived paddle steamers on the Clyde until they were replaced by turbine steamers taken over from Williamson. The service was latterly in the hands of the diesel-electric vessel Lochfyne and ceased at the ens of the 1969 season


Regular Summer Vessels
PS Iona
PS Columba
TS Saint Columba

Winter and Main Relief Vessels
PS Mountaineer 
TS King George V

Return to
Firth of Clyde
Clyde Steamers of the 1930s
Hutcheson / MacBrayne - Western Isles Services
Clyde Turbine Steamers
Main Menu