paddlesteamers.info  :  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers


PRESERVED PADDLE TUGS

PT Oscar Huber                      At the Museum der deutschen Binnenschifffahrt at Duisburg 


Oscar Huber, dating from 1922 and the last paddle tug on the Rhein, forms the centre-piece of the Museum of German Inland Waters Shipping at Duisburg-Ruhrort


Above : Oscar Huber preserved in Duisburg in 2007. Photo by G Sawatzki kindly put  in wikicommons under CC 3.0 licence  https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/deed.en 

Built in 1922 by Ewald Berninghaus at Duisburg
Length : 75 m
Engine : Triple expansion
Coal fired until 1955 then oil

Withdrawn from service in 1966
Preservation society established in 1969 to keep her in operational service
Operated passenger trips for three years but without financial viability
In 1971 ownership was taken over by the city of Duisburg. After restorationny Berninghaus in Cologne she was moved to Duisburg-Ruhrort
In 1974 a shipping museum was established aboard Oscar Huber 
In 1977 an expanded museum was established in the redundant buildings of the Duisburg-Ruhrort town hall with the tug 
as the main exhibit


Oscar Huber's Engines : Photos by kind courtesy of Chris Allen







Return to
Preserved Engines
Paddle Tugs