:  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers

Bristol Channel, UK
Sir William Lewis / Bute Docks Co
Coal mine magnate William Lewis (1837-1914), knighted and later a baronet and then 1st Baron Merthyr. 

Built in 1863 by Hepple & Co at Low Walker, Tyneside
91 ft : 94 GRT
Tug built for service at Gravesend
Operated at Liverpool from 1864 to 1886
Moved to Cardiff in 1886
Scrapped in 1896

The Marchioness

Built in 1888 by E Finch & Co at Chepstow
160.1 ft : 266 GRT
Engine : Oscillating 24 and 48 in x 48 in
Operated between Cardiff and Bristol
A second boiler and second funnel added
Sold in 1913 and went to the Netherlands

Return to
Bristol Channel
British Paddle Steamer Index