:  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers

River Rhein, Germany

Above : Photo shown with the kind permission of Markus Graf
Built in 1890 by Smit & Zoon at Kinderdijk (NL)
Length : 68.0 m  x 7.5 / 14.3
Compound diagonal by
Escher, Wyss & Cie, Zurich (CH)  760 and 1200 mm x 1200 mm

Built for the PRDG (Koln)
Taken over by the French occupation governement in 1920
Withdrawn at the end of the 1938 season
With the engine and boiler removed she was used as an accommodation and workshop ship at Cologne
Seriously damaged in 1945
Scrapped in 1947

Above : Lohengrin at the builders' yard in Kinderdijk in 1890. Photo in the public domain. Source : wikipedia

Above : At Cologne in 1909 on the occasion of the 200th Anniversary of the founding of the famous Eau de Cologne perfume company by Johann Maria Farina. Shown by general permission of the Farina Archiv. Source -  wikipedia

Return to
Rhein Steamers Historical Database
Preserved Paddle Steamers