:  The Internet's leading website for Side-Wheeled Paddle Steamers

Firth of Clyde, UK
Captain William Buchanan (Buchanan Steamers Ltd from 1905)
Captain William Buchanan , followed by his sons William, John and James, developed the largest private fleet of vessels on the Clyde. As a limited company from 1905, and after amalgamation with the fleet of captain John Williamson in 1919, the Buchanan name remained on the Clyde until the Second World War. Captains Buchanan and Williamson (Alex, senior) were the two main owners of PS Eagle from 1853 until 1862 when Captain Williamson established his own fleet. The Buchanan fleet expanded rapidly through the purchase of second hand vessels from other, often faltering, private owners. In later years vessels were purchased from the railway-owned steamer companies. New build was comparatively infrequent. The independent operators were not backed to the often excessive levels afforded to the railway steamers and their vessels were generally older and more spartan than their competitors. Nevertheless, these vessels could provide a cheap day out for the Glasgow day-tripper sailing directly from the Broomielaw in the city centre "all the way" to the Clyde resorts.
Vessels Purchased from other owners (1853-1913)
Cardiff Castle
Rothesay Castle
Brodick Castle
Balmoral (ex Lady Brisbane)
Shandon (ex Chancellor)
Isle of Bute (ex Guy Mannering, ex Sheila)
Isle of Cumbrae (ex Duchess of York, ex Jeanie Deans)
Isle of Skye

New Build to 1919
Isle of Arran
Eagle III

Return to
Firth of Clyde